Article processing charges (APCs)
Web Ecology and the European Ecological Federation are committed to the open-access model of publishing. This ensures free web access to the results of research and maximum visibility for published papers. However, it usually requires the author or a supporting institution to pay the costs of the review process, typesetting, web publication, and long-term archiving. These article processing charges (APCs) are categorized according to the submitted material and levied for the publication of the final journal paper. The European Ecological Federation believes that covering these publication costs results in the best return on investment in scientific terms, and thus publication in Web Ecology has been free to everyone since its inception in 2000.
The article processing charges include:
- all online tools for authors, editors, and reviewers;
- professional processing of figures;
- typesetting, editing, and formatting in PDFLaTeX;
- English language copy-editing;
- immediate open-access publication of each article;
- article alert service;
- indexing in international scientific databases and reference services;
- long-term archiving via Portico and CLOCKSS, as well as a number of national libraries.